The Gillingham (Kent) branch of Barclays Bank was opened in 1898/99 by the London & Provincial Bank and it was amalgamated with Barclays in 1918. The branch was originally called “New Brompton” until 1902. It was based at 77 High Street from 1920.
These old photographs of the Barclays Bank Gillingham branch are from the 1970s and one earlier c.1957
It's interesting to see the development of the building next to Barclays Bank on Canterbury Street over the years. In 1957 it's a very ornate building with bay window upstairs and part of the bank. By the early 1970s the roofline has been changed and the downstairs windows replaced. By the late 1970s the building has been demolished and replaced by a modern brick built 3 storey structure although still part of the Barclays branch from the logos on the front of the building.
The pictures also show the Oxfam shop, Design Boutique, Eric Lawson Estate agent and Highfields. It appears from the photos that Highfields moved next door when Oxfam moved into their old shop. You can also see the Truman's British Queen pub in the background of one photo.
Barclays Gillingham branch closed on 6 February 2015 and the business transferred to Chatham, High Street.
Photos and info courtesy of Barclays Group Archives