The Cricketers pub is situated in the heart of Rainham on the A2 High Street, next to the church and opposite Station Road. These photos of the Cricketers Pub in Rainham were taken in 1901, 1950, 1972, in 2001 and 2014. It was the terminus for the trams from Chatham and Rochester when they came to Rainham in 1906. The first photo is prior to the tram lines being built and was taken around 1901.
Cricketers pub in 1901. (photo thanks to Nick Knell)
The pub sign shows P.A Schurig as the landlord at this time and the name is The Cricketers Commercial Inn. Note how the pub is much further forward than the current building, this was demolished in the 1930s and rebuilt. Another sign to the left of the pub says Bowling Green and Tea Gardens. It is advertising London Porter, Dark Stout. The shop further down the High Street is advertising Reckitts Blue.
Cricketers in 1906
This photo shows the first tram to come to Rainham in 1906 outside the pub where they terminated. There are now steps and a railing outside the Cricketers which suggests the road level was slightly reduced when the tram lines were added as the door was at street level. There are now pavements on both roads of the road unlike in 1901. The pub sign has changed to read Cricketers Inn and Tourists Hotel. There is a sign for the Theatre Royal in Chatham on the wall opposite and the tram shown is from Chatham Town Hall to Rainham.
Rainham Cricketers Pub in 1950s with church in background. You can also see the belisha beacon crossing rather than traffic lights outside the pub
Cricketers Pub around 1972.
Very little changes from 1950s in this photo but the area around would have looked more different.
Cricketers Rainham in 2001
The junction is now controlled by traffic lights and there are tables to the front of the pub.
Cricketers in 2014